Welcome to our Phlebotomy Technician Technician
The Phlebotomy Technician is a 178-clock hour Program led by a licensed nurse who is the instructor. The Phlebotomy Technician class is structured and designed to teach the knowledge and skill development in performing a variety of blood collection methods, using proper techniques, and following standard precautions. These include vacuum collection devices, syringes, capillary skin punctures, butterfly needles, blood culture, and specimen collection on adults, children, and infants.
Upon successful completion and graduation from this Program, the student will be awarded a Certificate of Completion and a Training Verification Form. After passing the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) National Certification Examination, the graduate shall be certified Nationally as a Certified Phlebotomy Technician.
Phlebotomy Technician Course Objectives:
- How to identify the patient.
- How to label the specimen.
- How to draw blood from patients and blood donors.
- How to evaluate patients’ ability to withstand the procedure.
- How to explain the blood-drawing procedure to patients and answer questions.
- How to perform a basic point of care testing, such as blood glucose levels.
- How to prepare blood, urine, and other specimens for testing.
- How to verify patient/donor identity.
- How to maintain medical equipment such as needles, test tubes, and blood vials.
- How to prevent infection.
- Quality assurance.
- Specimen handling.
- Processing, accessioning, professionalism, legal, ethics, and medical terminology.
Total Training hours for this program = 178 hours.
Lectures and Skills Lab = 114 hours.
Clinical =64 hours.
|PHLEBOTOMY TECHNICIAN COURSE SCHEDULE||** The weekend class must complete 64 hours of clinical training after the 3rd weekend. All clinical hours must be completed during the week and daytime including the evening class. **
|Weekend||7 Weekends||8:00am-5:30pm (Sat & Sun)|
- 18 years of age.
- MTC Application.
- Two Forms of Government-issued Identification. (One must be a Photo ID and the other SSN).
- High School Diploma or Equivalency (e.g., a GED or a foreign diploma) or College Degree *.
- A criminal background check ($35.00 if done at MTC).
- TB Skin Screening Test. ($35.00 if done at MTC).
- Current BLS card needed before attending clinical. ($60.00 if done at MTC).
- Drug Test.
- Mentally and physically able to complete and pass this course.
Class Examinations/Clinical Skill Examinations:
- Students will be required to take (6) written exams and make an average score of 80% before being allowed to take the national certification exam.
- Students must pass all clinical skills with a score of 100% accuracy
- Students must pass checkoffs with a score of 100%.
- The Student must write a 5-page essay about the clinical experience and score 80% per the grading rubric.
- The student must complete all 14-chapter exams and score a minimum of 90% on each chapter test.
- Homework, tests, and popup quizzes will be given. Therefore, completion of all readings assigned daily will be of paramount importance. This means that the student must always be prepared.
- If a student is unable to pass the national certification challenge, they will be required to remediate until such a passing score is attained before they can test for the state certification test.
National Certification Examination:
After completing the Phlebotomy Technician training program at MedNoc Training College, the student will be required to take the Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) exam, which a National Certification Exam is offered by National Healthcareer Association (NHA). The exam will be offered at MTC.
CPT National Certification Exam Details:
- 100 questions, 20 pretest questions.
- Exam time: 2 hours.
- Pass: 390 out of 500 is a passing score in a scaled scoring system.
|PHLEBOTOMY TECHNICIAN TUITION AND FEES|
|2||Laboratory fees||$ 260.00|
|3||National Certification Exam||$ 180.00|
|4||TB Skin Screen Test||$ 35.00|
|6||Drug Test||$ 50.00|
|7||BLS Certification||$ 60.00|
|8||Name Badge||$ 15.00|
|Total Cost||$ 2,115.00|
*** Payment plan can be made with the Director of Admissions and Registrations. However, the whole balance must be paid in full before the end of the program. Students are not be allowed to take National Certification Examination if fees and tuition are not paid in full and no records will be issued to the student.
***Uniform (Scrubs) is needed for lab skills and clinical.
*** The cost of books is not included.
During your training at MedNoc Training College, your Phlebotomy course will cover the following areas of training, to ensure that you receive quality and the best training.
THE HEALTHCARE SETTING
- Phlebotomy: Past and present, and the Health care setting
- Quality Assurance And Legal Issues
- Infection Control, Safety, First Aid, And Personal Wellness
OVERVIEW OF HUMAN BODY
- Basic Medical Terminology
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- The Circulatory system
BLOOD COLLECTION PROCEDURES
- Blood Collection Equipment, Additives, And Order Of Draw
- Venipuncture procedures
- Pre-analytical Considerations
- Capillary Puncture Equipment And Procedures
- Special Collections And Point of Care Testing
- Arterial Puncture Procedures
- Non-blood Specimens And Tests
- Computers And Specimen Handling And Processing
Phlebotomy National Certification:
After you finish your Phlebotomy training at MTC, you will be required to take the National Certification Exam to be Nationally Certified through National Healthcareer Association (NHA. The exam will be offered at MedNoc. Phlebotomy Technician Certification (CPT): Each candidate for the CPT certification must:
- Must complete 178 hours of Training at MedNoc Training College
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must have high school diploma, GED or higher.
- Completed successfully phlebotomy training school within the last 5 years
- Provide evidence that you have successfully performed a minimum of thirty (30)Venipunctures and ten (10) capillary sticks on live individuals.
Phlebotomy Technician Jobs
As a Nationally Certified Phlebotomy Technician, you will gain employment the following places:
- Medical laboratories,
- Doctor’s office,
- Nursing Home,
- Blood donation sites
- Training Schools; teaching phlebotomy programs.
How to Apply to our Phlebotomy Technician Program
- Apply online; on this website by filling out the online application
- Call our office to request for the Testing Application: (405)225-7876 or (405)589-2573
- Fax your application to (405)-225-7876
- Email your application to email@example.com
- Come to our office Monday -Friday from 8 am-5 pm.