Welcome to our Phlebotomy Technician Technician
Our Phlebotomy program is a 178 clock hours composing of Phlebotomy class work, Phlebotomy lab skills and Phlebotomy clinical learning. This Phlebotomy day class is a 5 week training course offered Monday to Friday, the Phlebotomy evening class 7 weeks and the Phlebotomy weekend class is 7 weekends. The phlebotomy course is structured and requires strict attendance.
This Phlebotomy class is offered here in our Oklahoma City Campus. After completing the Phlebotomy training program at MedNoc Training College, you will be able to take National Examination to be become a certified Phlebotomist, after you must pass the national certification board exam offered through National Healthcareer Association.
The Phlebotomy Technician program is a 178-clock hour course, led by a licensed nurse who is the instructor. The Phlebotomy Technician class is structured and designed to teach the knowledge and skill development in the performance of variety of blood collection methods, using proper techniques and follow standard precautions. These include: vacuum collection devices, syringes, capillary skin puncture, butterfly needles and blood culture, and specimen collection on adults, children, and infants. Upon completion of this phlebotomy technician course, the student shall sit for National Certification exam.This Phlebotomy technician course requires strict attendance.
Phlebotomy Technician Course Objectives:
- How to identify Patient.
- How to label specimen.
- How to draw blood from patients and blood donors
- How to evaluate patients’ ability to withstand procedure
- How to explain blood-drawing procedure to patients and answer questions
- How to perform basic point of care testing, such as blood glucose levels
- How to prepare blood, urine and other specimens for testing
- How to verify patient/donor identity
- How to maintain medical equipment such as needles, test tubes and blood vials
- How to prevent infection.
- Quality assurance.
- Specimen handling.
- Processing, accessioning, professionalism, legal, ethics, and medical terminology.
Total Training hours for this program = 178 hours
Lectures and Skills Lab = 114 hours
Clinical =64 hours
Demonstrate infection control and safety
- Describe quality assurance as it relates to specimen
- Explain the role of specimen collection in the overall patient care system
- Identify collection equipment, various types of additives used, special precautions necessary, and substances that can interfere in clinical analysis of blood
- Demonstrate venipuncture and capillary puncture techniques on adults, children, and
- Explain requisitioning, transport and processing.
PHLEBOTOMY TECHNICIAN COURSE SCHEDULE
|** The weekend class must complete 64 hours of clinical training after the 3rd weekend. All clinical hours must be completed during the week and on daytime including the evening class. **
|Weekend||7 Weekends||8:00am-5:30pm (Sat & Sun)|
- 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency (e.g., a GED or a foreign diploma) or College Degree *.
- MTC Application.
- Two Forms of Government-issued Identification. (One must be a Photo ID and the other SSN).
- Minimum High School Diploma or Equivalency or higher.
- A criminal background check ($25.00 if done at MTC).
- TB Skin Screening Test. ($20.00 if done at MTC).
- Current BLS card needed before attending clinical. ($60.00 if done at MTC).
- Drug Test.
- Mentally and physically able to complete and pass this course.
Class Examinations/Clinical Skill Examinations:
- Students will be required to take (6) written exams and make an average score of 80% before being allowed to take the national certification exam.
- Students must pass all clinical skills with a score of 100% accuracy
- Students must pass checkoffs with a score of 100%.
- The student must write a 5-page essay about the clinical experience and score 80% per the grading rubric.
- The student must complete all 14-chapter exams and score a minimum of 90% on each chapter test.
- Homework, tests, and popup quizzes will be given. Therefore, completion of all readings assigned daily will be of paramount importance. This means that the student must be prepared at all times.
- If a student is unable to pass the national certification challenge, he/she will be required to remediate until such a passing score is attained before he/she can test for the state certification test.
National Certification Examination:
After completing the Phlebotomy Technician training program at MedNoc Training College, the student will be required to take the Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) exam, which a National Certification Exam is offered by National Healthcareer Association (NHA). The exam will be offered at MTC.
CPT National Certification Exam Details:
- 100 questions, 20 pretest questions
- Exam time: 2 hours
- Pass: 390 out of 500 is a passing score in a scaled scoring system.
PHLEBOTOMY TECHNICIAN TUITION AND FEES
|2||Laboratory fees||$ 160.00|
|3||National Certification Exam||$ 150.00|
|4||TB Skin Screen Test||$ 20.00|
|6||Drug Test||$ 50.00|
|7||BLS Certification||$ 60.00|
|8||Name Badge||$ 10.00|
|Total Cost||$ 1,855.00|
*** Payment plan can be made with the Director of Admissions and Registrations. However, the whole balance must be paid in full before the end of the program. Student will not be allowed to take National Certification Examination if fees and tuition are not paid in full and no records will be issued to the student.
***Uniform (Scrubs) is needed for lab skills and clinical. This can cost up to $100.00
*** The cost of books is not included.
During your training at MedNoc Training College, your Phlebotomy course will cover the following areas of training, to ensure that you receive quality and the best training.
THE HEALTHCARE SETTING
- Phlebotomy: Past and present, and the Health care setting
- Quality Assurance And Legal Issues
- Infection Control, Safety, First Aid, And Personal Wellness
OVERVIEW OF HUMAN BODY
- Basic Medical Terminology
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- The Circulatory system
BLOOD COLLECTION PROCEDURES
- Blood Collection Equipment, Additives, And Order Of Draw
- Venipuncture procedures
- Pre-analytical Considerations
- Capillary Puncture Equipment And Procedures
- Special Collections And Point of Care Testing
- Arterial Puncture Procedures
- Non-blood Specimens And Tests
- Computers And Specimen Handling And Processing
Phlebotomy National Certification:
After you finish your Phlebotomy training at MTC, you will be required to take the National Certification Exam to be Nationally Certified through National Healthcareer Association (NHA. The exam will be offered at MedNoc. Phlebotomy Technician Certification (CPT): Each candidate for the CPT certification must:
- Must complete 178 hours of Training at MedNoc Training College
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must have high school diploma, GED or higher.
- Completed successfully phlebotomy training school within the last 5 years
- Provide evidence that you have successfully performed a minimum of thirty (30)Venipunctures and ten (10) capillary sticks on live individuals.
Phlebotomy Technician Jobs
As a Nationally Certified Phlebotomy Technician, you will gain employment the following places:
- Medical laboratories,
- Doctor’s office,
- Nursing Home,
- Blood donation sites
- Training Schools; teaching phlebotomy programs.
How to Apply to our Phlebotomy Technician Program
- Apply online; on this website by filling out the online application
- Call our office to request for an application: (405)225-7876 or (405)589-2573
- Fax your application to (405)-225-7876
- Email your application to email@example.com
- Come to our office Monday -Friday from 8am-5pm. and call on Saturday for an appointment.