The EKG Program is a 122-clock hour. The Electrocardiograph (EKG) Technician performs electrocardiograms according to physician’s orders and established practices and procedures. The EKG Technician’s tasks and responsibilities may include processing and assembling equipment, maintaining inventory, and processing data reports. The EKG Technician performs diagnostic tests to assess the patients’ heart rhythms and heart rate. EKGs are also performed before and after operations, during physical examinations of patients with a history of heart disease, when patients are experiencing chest pains, and when the doctor deems it necessary. The well-trained EKG technician is an integral part of managing patients with heart disease.
Upon successful completion and graduation from this Program, the student will be awarded a Certificate of Completion and a Training Verification Form. After passing the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) National Certification Examination, the graduate shall be certified Nationally as a Certified Electrocardiogram Technician.
Total Training hours for this program = 122 hours.
Lectures and Skills Lab = 66 hours.
Clinical =56 hours.
- Define the role of the Electrocardiograph technician.
- Describe the state requirements related to ECG practice.
- Describe legal and ethical issues related to ECG practices.
- Demonstrate practical customer service skills.
- Maintain a safe environment and infection control.
- Describe the Anatomy and Physiology of the Cardiovascular System.
- Incorporate pharmacology within fieldwork.
- Review Basic Electrophysiology (i.e., Four characteristics of cardiac cells, identify nodes, measure heart rate, review ECG waveforms and interpretations)
- Chart and Read ECGs.
- Recognize interference, loose leads, and other malfunctions
- Recognize responding/reporting to emergencies.
|EKG TECHNICIAN COURSE SCHEDULE|
|Weekday||3 weeks and 2 days|
|Evening||3 weeks and 2 days|
- MTC Application.
- Two Forms of Government-issued ID. (One must be a photo ID and the other original SSN).
- Minimum High School Diploma, GED, or another Equivalency, or higher.
- A Criminal Background check (Offered at MTC for $35.00).
- TB Skin Screening Test. (Offered at MTC for $35.00).
- Drug Test. (Offered at MTC for $50.00).
- Current BLS certification needed before clinical. (Offered at MTC for $60.00).
- Signed Affidavit of Legal Presence.
- Mentally and physically able to complete and pass this course.
Class Examinations/Clinical Skill Examinations:
- Students will be required to take (17) written exams and make an average score of 80% before being allowed to take the national certification exam.
- Students must pass all clinical skills with a score of 100% accuracy
- Students must pass checkoffs with a score of 100%.
- The student must write a 5-page essay about the clinical experience and score 80% per the grading rubric.
- The student must complete all 17-chapter exams and score a minimum of 90% on each chapter test.
- Homework, tests, and popup quizzes will be given. Therefore, completion of all readings assigned daily will be of paramount importance. This means that the student must always be prepared.
- If a student is unable to pass the national certification challenge exam, they will be required to remediate until such a passing score is attained before they can test for the state certification test.
National Certification Examination:
After completing the Electrocardiograph (EKG) Technician training program at MedNoc Training College, you will be required to take the CET, which is a National Certification Exam offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). The exam will be offered at MTC.
CET Certification Exam Details:
The CET exam is offered through the National Healthcareer Association.
- 100 questions, 20 pretest questions.
- Exam time: 2 hours.
- Pass: 390 out of 500 is a passing score in a scaled scoring system.
|EKG TECHNICIAN TUITION AND FEES|
|2||Laboratory fees||$ 215.00|
|3||National Certification Exam||$ 190.00|
|4||TB Skin Screen Test||$ 35.00|
|6||Drug Test||$ 50.00|
|7||BLS Certification||$ 60.00|
|8||Name Badge||$ 15.00|
|Total Cost||$ 1,800.00|