It’s no easy task to be a certified nurse assistant. In fact, it takes a very special type of person to be certified nursing assistant. There are 5 traits / skills a person needs to possess in order to be a successful certified nursing assistant.
- Knowledge. It is important for you to take your classes seriously when in CNA school. When in the field or on duty, there are a multitude of things that can happen that you will need to be prepared for. Whether it is answering questions from a patient or taking orders from a nurse or doctor, it is important that you are able be knowledgeable on various topics.
- Flexibility. As with all other professions in the medical field, CNAs should know first hand to expect something different each day. It is important to be observant of your surroundings and be willing to be flexible in working longer hours or even weekends.
- Observation. One of the main responsibilities of certified nurse assistants is be vigilant of patients and to monitor everything. Whether it is a bruise or high blood pressure, you want to make sure to pay attention to every detail.
- Emotional Stability. Being a certified nurse assistant is no easy task. You will work with a variety of patients who will vary in different ages. It is important for the CNA to show empathy but also restraint. Some patients will be able to recover from their illnesses and some will not.
- Empathy. Perhaps the biggest the trait a CNA must possess is that of empathy. Like with most traits, empathy cannot be be learned nor learned but inherited. Many individuals whom do not possess this trait will not last long as a CNA.
So there you have it. Those are the five traits we think an individual should posses to be successful. Although there are hundreds of other traits a certified nurse assistant should also possess, we believe these 5 are the most crucial.